BIG SIT ~ Birding for Beginners 2023
March 25 @ 8:30 am - 10:00 am
8:30am - 10:00am
What is a Big Sit? It’s a birdwatching circle! The participants see how many birds can be spotted or heard without leaving the circle. It’s great for beginners because more experienced folks will be around to offer guidance. The Bastrop County Audubon Society will provide an experienced birder to lead each circle. This is a come-and-go event.
You don’t have to bring anything, but you can bring what you need to be comfortable, whether it be a blanket or chair, binoculars or scope, field guide, water or snacks.
UPCOMING LOCATIONS IN 2023
- January 28 – Colorado River Refuge (356 Riverside Dr., Bastrop TX – outdoor classroom & beach)
- February 25 – Minerva Delgado Park (709 Laurel St, Bastrop TX)
- March 25 – Elgin Memorial Park (1127 N. Main, Elgin TX 78621 – meeting place TBD)
- April 22 – Buescher State Park (100 Park Rd 1-C, Smithville TX 78957 $5 entry fee, meeting place TBD)
- May 27 – Bob Bryant Park (600 Charles Blvd., Bastrop TX)
Birding apps that are helpful. Just download onto your phone, create an account, and let the app use your location to recommend a bird package to download and explore.
- Merlin Bird ID (by Cornell Lab) for identifying birds and
- eBird (from Cornell Lab of Ornithology) for submitting your checklists of spotted birds.
Just one person from each circle will report our sightings on eBird, but it’s great to get familiar with these apps so you can start spotting and reporting when you’re out and about.
Hosted by Bird City Bastrop, Bastrop County Audubon Society and the City of Bastrop.